[OSGeo Africa] Projection systems in Kenya

Antony Cooper ACooper at csir.co.za
Wed Oct 24 07:19:33 PDT 2012

Dear Wesley

The definitive source for geodetic codes and parameters is: http://www.epsg.org/

You can search there to find out what systems are used in Kenya, and then see if they work with your data.  Unfortunately, it is not an easy site to use (I definitely do not know how to use it), so you will have to work out your own way around it.

By default, if your coordinates are in metres from Greenwich and the Equator, then it is likely that they are in Transverse Mercator (TM).  However, if you do not have any points in your data set that you can use as ground control points to correlate your data with other data sets, then you cannot say anything definitive about the locations in your data - unless your Park Ranger can give you more details.

Regards
Antony

"Wes Roberts" <wes at biocarbonpartners.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> Many thanks for reading this mail. I hope this is the correct list to mail
> to!
>

> I have received some GIS data from a Park Ranger in Kenya and surprise
> surprise, the data does not have any projection information associated with
> it so I am unable to use it. The data is projected with both the x and y
> coordinates being positive. I have figured out that the easting is measured
> from greenwich while the northing is measured from the equator.
> Unfortunately that is as far as I have gotten. Are there any Kenyan GIS
> professionals on the list or at least someone who is familiar with local
> projection systems who can help?
>

> I have mailed the ranger to ask for additional metadata but am not holding
> my breath. I can send a sample data set offline if there are persons willing
> to have a look.
>

> Many thanks and kind regards,
>
> Wesley
>

> BCP CLR LOGO-FINAL LoRes
>
> Wesley Roberts PhD
>
> GIS and Remote Sensing Professional
>
> BioCarbon Partners
>
> Email:   wes at biocarbonpartners.com
>
> Tel:       +27 83 5355 646 (South Africa)
>
> Skype: roberts-w
>
>  <http://www.biocarbonpartners.com/> www.biocarbonpartners.com

and is believed to be clean.