[OSGeo Africa] Native reserves/locations as originally proclaimed in the Native Land Act of 1913 and later

Antony Cooper ACooper at csir.co.za
Mon Apr 8 13:32:45 PDT 2013

Dear Aslam

I presume that you have looked at The Natives' Land Act [No. 27, 1913.] itself?

The scanned version on your Department's web site is not a great copy and it has a lot of handwritten annotations of subsequent changes (which are obviously useful for you).  However, it does include the Schedule of Native Areas, with a long list of places, with location names, farm names, references to historic deeds of reservation, etc.  It seems to be incomplete, though, with no reference of Grahamstown or the Albany district, for example.  See: http://www.ruraldevelopment.gov.za/phocadownload/1913/nativelandact27of1913.pdf

A transcribed version of the Act, but not of the Schedule, is at: http://www.polity.org.za/polity/govdocs/legislation/misc/nla1913.html

Section 2.(1) requires the Governor-General to appoint a commission to designate all the areas.  Section 2.(1)c requires that commission describe the boundaries of the areas and produce maps of every area.  Section 2.(2) requires the commission to report within two years (unless extended by Parliament) and allowed it to make interim reports and recommendations.

Sir William Beaumont was appointed as the head of the Native Land Commission and it began work on 8 September 1913.  It submitted its report in March 1916.  It seems that you can download a copy at: http://archive.org/details/reportofnativesl01sout

Any other documents that you need should be just around the corner from you, in the National Archives!  :-)

By the way, Harvey Feinberg and Andre Horn published a paper entitled "South African territorial segregation: New data on African farm purchases, 1913-1936", so they can probably point you to relevant sources (note that Andre is now in the Department of Geography at UNISA).  See: http://137.215.9.22/bitstream/handle/2263/13706/Feinberg_South%282009%29.pdf?sequence=1

I hope that this helps.

Regards
Antony

<5162B2C80200000F00008629 at optatelk04.ruraldevelopment.gov.za>, "Aslam Parker"
<APARKER at ruraldevelopment.gov.za> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I know this is a long shot, but is there anyone who has data on the location
> of Native Reserves as proclaimed in the 1913 Land Act and subsequent
> amendment. The TVBC states is a relatively recent artifact of the Apartheid
> Government land engineering project, for which I have information. I also
> have maps showing the location of Native Reserves in the 1960's. I am looking
> for maps older than this.
>
> Any leads will be appreciated.
>
> Kind regards
>

> Aslam Parker | Director: Geo-spatial Information and Professional Support
> |Chief Directorate: National Geo-spatial Information www.ngi.gov.za| Cape
> Town|
> Tel +27 21 658 4302| Fax +27 86 211 7919| Mobile 082 331 8501|
> aparker at ruraldevelopment.gov.za
>
> --
> This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail
> legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
> The full disclaimer details can be found at
> http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

> MailScanner,
> and is believed to be clean.

and is believed to be clean.