[OSGeo Africa] 1913 Natives Land Act Exhibition on Social Media Platforms

Chris chris at airphotoafrica.co.za
Sat Aug 3 11:42:15 PDT 2013

    Aslam ,

    With due respect .......

    I had a look at your links and I am afraid I came away with the
    impression that the RDLA effort is all pure progaganda -- geared to an
    election next year..Talking about van Riebeck and colonialism ( of a
    special type ) nearly four hundred years after the event , shows how far
    some have drifted from the spirit of "Ubuntu" , Mandela and the Freedom
    Charter.  ( Yes I can also read and understand "comrade-speak" ! ) I am
    sure many ,  less well read in the REAL history are going to come away
    with the crudely simplistic impression -- Very bad White man stole good
    peace loving black mans land -- perhaps this is the message that the
    ruling party intends they should have ? Apart from "open-eyes" I would
    think that people should also have "open-minds"  ?

    As you know I have been doing some reading on this issue and the
    associated history. Without claiming to have any expert knowledge on the
    subject and not having been directly affected ( I am not a land owner ) I
    found the pages referenced did not contain anything that I would consider
    educational -- at least in  any sense of offering a detailed intellectual
    unbiased account. ( and when are people going to learn that if
    information is behind a "sign-in-and-come-and-join-us" *Facebook* then I
    am really not interested  ) -- BTW it appears you have 57 "likes' ? I am
    not sure if that says anything significant ?

    There are detailed accounts ( documents ) that are extant and which a bit
    of searching will reveal.

    I refer to the work of Professor Harvey M Feinberg  [ with Andre Horn
    University of Pretoria ]

    and an even more detailed account presented in the Masters thesis of
    Patricia Grattan Dickson

    "The Natives Land Act .1913: It's Antecedants , Passage and Reception"

    University of Cape Town  December 1970

    Which looks at original source records like  HANSARD and official
    Government documentation.

    Then there are the papers read at the LandDivided2013  Conference that
    was held recently , also at UCT

    Papers like that of Prof Peter Delius and William Beinart ( who if they
    are reading this should get their paper out of draft form and onto the
    LandDivided  website )

    In short -- I see lots of emotion and very little REAL coverage of the
    very complex and multi layered issues.

    History ( especially when the issues are so sensitive ) needs to be
    RIGOROUS !

    For all the politicking , the money could rather have been given to
    something like

    [the] African Centre for Food Security

    http://acfs.ukzn.ac.za/Homepage.aspx

    That said , I do intend to visit the "show"  if / when it gets to UKZN

    CM