[OSGeo Africa] Using south-orientated CRSs for GIS in South Africa

Frank Sokolic sokolic at worldonline.co.za
Tue Aug 27 05:07:48 PDT 2013

Hi Aslam,

What is NGI's position on GIS data? When I've obtained GIS data from NGI
in the past it has always been supplied as north-oriented, and not in
the south-oriented SA CRS. Was this because in the past there weren't
any GIS packages that supported the south-oriented SACRS?

Now that GIS programs are starting to support the SACRS (e.g. QGIS 2.0,
ArcGIS) does this mean that NGI will start distributing GIS data in the
correct orientation?

Frank.