[OSGeo Africa] The Society for Conservation GIS

Ned Horning nedh at lightlink.com
Wed Feb 13 05:09:45 PST 2013

Hi Chris,

The SCGIS is effectively an (unofficial) ESRI conservation user group
but there are a growing number of members using FOSS. It's a great group
of friendly people and I enjoyed the few conferences I attended over the
years. Their meetings are usually held to coincide with the ESRI user's
meeting. SCGIS has been quite good at helping people doing conservation
work get free copies of ESRI and ENVI software. Their scholar program is
great. It offers opportunities to go to the annual meetings (SCGIS and
ESRI) and a couple weeks of workshops.

Discussions about using FOSS are not uncommon at the conference or the
email list and people are generally very receptive.

Ned