[OSGeo Africa] Soils Map for Zambia

Heidi Van Deventer HvDeventer at csir.co.za
Wed Feb 13 21:58:12 PST 2013

Hi Wesley

It seems as if the SOTER database for Southern and Central Africa (two
separate ones) do not cover Zambia. Perhaps confirm if there were any
updates since 2007:

World Soil Database
ISRIC is developing a centralized and user-focused database (‘World
Soil Database’ or WOSIS). Here users can easily extract all validated
and authorized data from the ISRIC data  depository - soil profile data
as well as area-class soil maps. Using a single set of tools  - called
Global Soil Information Facilities (GSIF) -  the World Soil Database
will allow visitors to access, process and visualize various types of
soil-related data. GSIF has been inspired by global environmental data
initiatives such as Global Biodiversity Information Facilities, Global
Land Cover mapping and OneGeology.
http://www.isric.org/content/data

http://www.isric.org/data/data-download

We have downloaded the Southern African data set from the internet
around 2006/7 for Bob Scholes, I think from the FAO site.

Here is also another option... one just need to keep on searching.
http://idn.ceos.org/portals/Metadata.do?Portal=idn_gisd&KeywordPath=Parameters%7CAGRICULTURE&EntryId=GNVd0076_104&MetadataView=Full&MetadataType=0&lbnode=mdlb3

Kind regards,
Heidi

>>> Gavin Fleming <gavinjfleming at gmail.com> 13/02/2013 12:51 >>>
There was a global soils database from one of the UN agencies (ISRIC I

think), consisting of sample points with full profile data that I used
few years ago at the CSIR. Bob Scholes and others at the CSIR were
involved in its development. But it was the most useful soil data
source
I came across at the time.

If you wanted a map you pulled out the variables you were interested in

at the depth required and interpolated your own map. There's really no

such thing as 'a soil map' since soil classes are so fuzzily defined
and
fuzzily distributed, as well as varying over the profile.

The definitive global soil project you probably want is SOTER. The ISCW

would be the best local source for that.

Here's a list I found:
http://www.itc.nl/~rossiter/research/rsrch_ss_digital.html

On 13/02/2013 12:27, Wes Roberts wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am in need of a soils map of Zambia. I have found a couple of
> scanned paper maps which have proved difficult to use effectively. If

> anyone has any suggestions where I can get a vector database of
> Zambian soils I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Many thanks and kind regards,
>
> Wesley
>
> BCP CLR LOGO-FINAL LoRes
>
> Wesley Roberts PhD
>
> GIS and Remote Sensing Professional
>
> BioCarbon Partners
>
> Email: _wes at biocarbonpartners.com_
>
> Tel:       +27 83 5355 646 (South Africa)
>
> Skype: roberts-w
>
> *www.biocarbonpartners.com <http://www.biocarbonpartners.com/>*

Gavin Fleming
t: 0218620670