[OSGeo Africa] South Africa Aerial Imagery

Hanlie Pretorius hanlie.pretorius at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 12:37:11 PST 2013

Hi Grant,

Thanks for setting this up, it's great.

I've managed to load it as a raster layer in QGIS 1.8.0 in Windows, using
the XML file you provided.

I then read up a bit about the projection it uses and was a bit concerned
that it's a 'whole world' projection with 0 deg, 0 deg as the centre, and
according to spatialreference.org. errors of up to 800m  in position may
occur.

So I loaded some vector layers in WGS84 CRS from the census on top of the
images and the parts of Cape Town that I checked seemed fine. Boundaries
ran nicely along centres of roads etc.

Have you perhaps checked other parts of the country for errors because of
the projection, or is this a silly question?

Regards
Hanlie