[OSGeo Africa] Travel Time Calculation

Paul Scott pscott209 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 23:24:34 PST 2013

 On 15/01/2013 08:53, S Coetzer wrote:

  Hi

 If I can suggest a quick an easy way to get estimated time travel.

 Get your x,y coordinates from point A to point B and plot it on Google
maps. Use the GET DIRECTIONS facility, this would give you an estimated
travel time and distance along with several possible alternative routes.

For a group of GI professionals, I am bitterly disappointed in these types
of answers. Has anyone heard of Djikstra's algorithm (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijkstra%27s_algorithm) or a* or Shooting-Star
distance algorithms?  (http://www.policyalmanac.org/games/aStarTutorial.htm)

>From that, we can infer that distance * average speed = time right?

Come on ladies and gents! Let us foster an environment for new thinking and
innovation, not a forum for consumption of predefined OTS products.

OSGeo = Open Source = hack and pick and modify = change = new = better =
share.