[OSGeo Africa] Looking for crop production data for the Eastern Cape per municipality

Chris chris at airphotoafrica.co.za
Wed Jan 23 00:19:45 PST 2013

    No Offence -- but -- has the OP been to the Eastern Cape within whose
    boundaries the old Transkei / Ciskei are contained ? Does he have any
    idea of the import of his "simple" request ?

    May we ask what the information is needed for ?

    In that old bantustan agriculture was run on a communal self-subsistence
    level. I very much doubt if any records were kept of what could have been
    very little or no crop production -- in an agricultural sense. I remember
    thousands and thousands of plastic bags decorating the fences alongside
    the road. There was a commercial crop but one would have to check with
    the guys down Lusikisiki way and the "Hippies" at Port St Johns. I wonder
    if any of the old Bantustan depts would have kept records ? If they did
    where would these be now ?

    There well may be records for the "other" parts of the Eastern Cape where
    commercial ariculture was carried out.

    I would think that in these areas there would have been Farmers
    organisations and probabaly a formal agricultural dept -- which quite
    possibly did keep records. Eastern Cape Farmers Association -- or
    something similar -- AgriSA  ( the "enemy" )

    You may have better luck with the people at PLAAS at UWC

    http://www.plaas.org.za

    ( IF I am not mistaken one of their opening page images is of the Eastern
    Cape ? )

    For some background you could read Beinert , Bundy , Bunting , Trapido ,
    Delius.

    African Studies Centre Oxford

    Centre for African Studies UCT

    I could find all the info for you -- but who is going to pay for my time
    ?

    CM