[OSGeo Africa] Data for Uganda

Yao Ayivor yamtanam at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 04:47:39 PDT 2013

[image: Transforming Intermittent Water Supply]Transforming Intermittent
Water Supply of Developing Countries to 24x7 System

*Badlapur, India
Maharashtra Jeevan Pradhikaran*

Providing potable water to the dense population of developing countries is
a daunting task. At least 1.6 million people die every year due to diseases
related to unsafe water supply. In India, daily water supply ranges from
just 27 liters per capita per day (LPCD) in poor areas to 160 LPCD in
affluent areas – compared to 260 LPCD in the typical U.S. single-family
home. Low consumption is related to poor service provided by an
intermittent water supply. During nonsupply hours, pipes remain empty and
dirty water enters the pipeline at vulnerable spots, causing contamination
and associated health risks.

When the water supply source for Badlapur, India, was severely damaged
during unprecedented rain in July 2005, construction of a new barrage gave
occasion to optimize the distribution system for continuous water supply to
the city’s more than 140,000 inhabitants. The *project team used WaterGEMS
to design a hydraulic model of existing and proposed pipelines*. The
process required modeling the entire distribution system, calibrating
network and consumer withdrawal patterns during system modifications, and
creating zones and district metering areas to further improve service.
Water loss and diversion caused by leaking underground storage tanks and
oversized above-ground tanks complicated the analysis. Features such as
flow controlling valves, reservoirs as source nodes, pipe junctions, pipe
elements, and demand nodes helped to analyze and optimize the distribution
network.

With district metering areas properly demarcated and set in operation,
various improvement measures such as leakage control and throttling of
valves for equitable water supply have been implemented. With a population
projected to grow to 300,000 by 2011, Badlapur now provides 24-by-7 water
supply to 16 out of 34 wards, with the remaining wards to be completed this
year. Transformation of the intermittent system to 24-by-7 service
simultaneously reduced nonrevenue water loss by 427 million liters per
year, producing considerable cost savings.

--
Yao Ayivor

C:081 537 1917
E: yamtanam at gmail.com