[OSGeo Africa] (Fwd) ICA-OSGeo Lab Network

Chris chris at airphotoafrica.co.za
Sun Mar 31 10:05:28 PDT 2013

    Hi List ,

    From another list I follow
    Some may already know about this develoipment ?

    IF not -- here is a heads-up.

    CM

Dear All,

After discussing with our lab members, i am pleased to inform that we now
have the official name and also short acronym (to be used for mailing
list, domain name etc) which is easy to remember for the network.

"ICA-OSGeo Lab Network" is the official title of the network and OSGL for
"Open Source Geospatial Labs" as the acronym for the url, domain name
etc.

The Official full title brings and highlights two communities , the ICA
(International Cartographic Association) and the Open Source Geospatial
Foundation (OSGeo) together in our common aim to  support the
establishment of Open Source Geospatial Laboratories and Research Centers
across the world for supporting development of open-source geospatial
software technologies, training and expertise. We started establishing
the network of labs globally with the ICA-OSGeo MoU initiative

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MOU_ICA

Individual labs (those already established and those in future) are free
to select the names they wish. For example, Lab in UNMC is called
Open-source Geospatial Research Lab, at North Carolina State University
it is  OSGeo Research and Education Laboratory (OSGeoREL), it is Open
Source Geospatial Lab in Newcastle University etc. That will also give
individual nodes the flexibility to select the name for their lab that
they want under a joint lab network umbrella.

We are also working to create a dedicated website  at  osgl.osgeo.org
and mailing list at osgl at lists.osgeo.org

The pace of growth has been much beyond our dreams and with more
applications for establishing research labs from universities across the
world, we are in target to establish over 100 research labs in the next
three years globally. This is the biggest growth area in Geospatial
Science discipline and will have direct benefit of thousands of students
across the world. Each of these research labs will keep expanding over
the years with more staff and students.

We would like to thank the whole OSGeo and ICA community for the strong
support and helping spreading the message of our education initiative.

Best wishes,

Suchith

Dr Suchith Anand
Nottingham Geospatial Institute
Nottingham Geospatial Building
University of Nottingham NG7 2 TU
Tel: (0)115 82 32750

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~lgzwww/contacts/staffPages/SuchithAnand/Suchi
th%20Anand.htm

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ngi/research/geospatial-science/geospatial-
science.aspx http://elogeo.nottingham.ac.uk/

http://ica-opensource.scg.ulaval.ca/

http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/

Be part of FOSS4G 2013 - "Geo for All"

Leading Open Geospatial Science through ICA Commission on Open Source
Geospatial Technologies

Mission - Building up Open Source, Open Standards, Open Data research for
bridging the digital divideThis message and any attachment are intended
solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you
have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and
immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy or disclose the
information contained in this message or in any attachment.  Any views or
opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect
the views of the University of Nottingham.

computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
permitted by UK legislation.