[OSGeo Africa] OT: Geomatics Profession Bill (South Africa) Status.

Peter Newmarch newmarch at land-surveyors.com
Wed May 29 03:44:28 PDT 2013

Like all statutory councils the Bill, when it becomes an Act wont force
people to register. Registration will only become compulsory if and when
any work reservation is instituted.

The other aspect to consider is when a client wishes to use a registered
person, in the same way as a client wants say a registered engineer or
registered valuer or even a registered accountant etc... - its a matter
of a clients choice. It does become harder for the state though, as they
are dealing with public money and normally insist on using registered
people and employing registered people. The state cannot undermine the
legislation it created and so its duty bound to employ registered
persons only.

So in essence, the state is bound to use registered people, while the
public can use anybody (provided there is no work reservation).

With regards the category GIS practitioner or GIS Technologist or even
GIS technician - until work reservation is instituted, there will be
little difference. Some that I can think of would be the Title, and
issues around running a company.

Regards

Peter