[OSGeo Africa] Data interchange between opensource GIS and ArcGIS

E. Ndava erick.ndava at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 23:40:12 PDT 2013

Hi Hanlie

Whatever format you use I perceive "The Organisation" will have to import
the data you generate into their (geo)databases. So

1. In spite of the fact that "The Organisation" is using SDE, and if you
have nothing against using shapefiles, you can still capture your data in
Shapefile format. The organisation will then just import that appropriately
into their 'store'.

2. or you could create a PostGIS database (using OpenGeo Suite for instance
http://boundlessgeo.com/solutions/opengeo-suite/ ), capture the data using
QGIS. To get to your data 'The Organisation' will have to connect to your
PostGIS instance. I understand ArcGIS 10.x supports reading from PostGIS,
in that manner 'The Organisation' can connect to your PostGIS and export/
import to their SDE.  If ArcGIS 9.x is in use then 'free' extensions like
ST-*Links* SpatialKit (www.st-*links*.com) can be used to access the data
still.

Additionally from the PostGIS database you have the choice to export to
various formats.

Regards

Erick