[OSGeo Africa] Linux distributions - recommendations?

Gavin Fleming gavin at afrispatial.co.za
Thu Oct 24 03:12:28 PDT 2013

Hi Charles

Ubuntu definitely works. It also has the best geospatial support. Any
distro that supports EFI boot should work (Mint doesn't).

make space with your Mac disk utilities

Install rEFInd (EFI boot manager)

Install ext4 driver in rEFInd

Install Ubuntu. Don't install grub (you'll be using EFI instead).

Disclaimer: The above are the basic steps - Google to find a good guide!

Gavin

On 24/10/2013 10:44, Charles Rethman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Which Linux distribution is generally recommended for placing on a Mac partition? Ubuntu, Mint or any other? Its my first Linux installation so ease of use counts and it should work well with a Macbook touch pad and Mac gestures. I would prefer not to use a virtual machine but I would like to be able to read the Macintosh partition from the Linux one so I don't have to keep and sync copies of files that I'm working on with QGIS and other packages under Mac.
>
> I know this is veering somewhat off-topic but the reason for my trying out Linux is to be able to a richer experience with OS geo-software... Thanks.

regards

Gavin

Gavin Fleming
http://afrispatial.co.za