[OSGeo Africa] KML KMZ DM LM

Aslam Parker APARKER at ruraldevelopment.gov.za
Thu Sep 12 02:42:41 PDT 2013

The latest landcover was done for KZN wildlife by Geoterraimage. As far
as I know, all land cover done for Government or state organs is
available at no cost.

>>> "SAM YIRENKYI" <SAM.YIRENKYI at kzncogta.gov.za> 9/11/2013 4:23 PM

Hi Team
Any idea where I can source the latest land cover shapefile for KZN
Province or the entire country

Regards

>>> Gavin Fleming <gavinjfleming at gmail.com> 2013/09/11 02:14 PM >>>
Hi Suzi

You can just 'Save as' KML from QGIS. That's presuming you have the
shapefiles from the Demarcation Board.

Then just zip a .kml and call it .kmz if you want it compressed.

Gavin

On 11/09/2013 13:01, Suzi Crossley wrote:

> Does anyone have kmz or kmls of all the district and local
> municipalities in SA?
>
> I would be so grateful
>
> Thanks

Mapping
> [...]

> resources, land use planning, reducing land degradation, conservation

> of biodiversity, and renewable energy assessment. Information on
> land-cover change trends provides significant value to both the
> scientific community and the general public. Therefore, land-cover
> information plays a critical role in supporting policy and
> decision-making at local, regional, continental and global levels.
> Mapping Africa’s land cover has been facilitated by the availability

> of free and open data from the US Landsat program and data
> processing/analysis capabilities in African regional centres (e.g.
> RCMRD) and partner countries (e.g. China, US, EU). These data and
> processing capabilities have led to the creation of a new
> continent-wide map for the year 2010, continent-wide samples
> documenting land cover change between the 1990-2000-2010 epochs,
> regional maps for 2000 and 2010, regional validation datasets, and
> selected national and project scale mapping for specific tasks such
as
> agriculture, forestry and other land use (AFOLU) carbon accounting.
> However, in several countries data gaps, inadequate institutional
> frameworks, missing networks of experts and technological barriers
> mean that the specific needs of policy makers cannot always be met.
> Therefore key recommendations from the symposium participants to
> advance Land Cover mapping for the African Continent are to:
> 1. Contribute to the development of a land use/land cover data
product
> for the entire African continent at a 30-meter resolution for the
> African element of the Global Earth Observation System of Systems
> (AfriGEOSS);
> 2. Advocate for Earth Observation data providers to adopt a policy of

> free-and-open access to their data;
> 3. Raise awareness of the availability of land use/land cover data,
> tools, applications, and land cover change dynamics among decision
> makers at multiple levels;
> 4. Build mutually beneficial partnerships with national and regional

> institutions to assess their land cover needs, such as products and
> tools; while increasing their involvement in the data validation for

> the global land cover data product;
> 5. Build capacity within and among national and regional institutions

> to integrate land cover data into decision making processes;
> 6. Promote sound governance policies and activities that maximize the

> value and usefulness of land cover data at multiple scales to
decision
> makers (e.g. data openness, data sharing, institutional transparency,

> common data standards);
> 7. Establish an Africa-focused Community of Practice for Land Use and

> Land Cover to facilitate networking between scientists and
> technicians; and
> 8. Establish an Africa-focused Group on Earth Observations (GEO)
> Global Land Cover Working Group to coordinate the above
recommendations.

> === Email Disclaimer
> =================================================== “The information

> contained in this email is confidential and may contain proprietary
> information. It is meant solely for the intended recipient. Access to

> this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the
intended
> recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken

> or omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful. No

> liability or responsibility is accepted if information or data is,
for
> whatever reason corrupted or does not reach its intended recipient.
No
> warranty is given that this email is free of viruses. The views
> expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of the
> author not those of Department of Rural Development and Land Reform
or
> its management. Department of Rural Development and Land Reform
> reserves the right to monitor, intercept and block email addresses to

> its users or take any action in accordance with its email use
policy”.

Gavin Fleming
t: 0218620670
w: 0218630660