[OSGeo Africa] Comparing census and elections datasets

Pregan Pillay PreganP at dbsa.org
Sun Apr 13 23:41:40 PDT 2014

Hi all

I was faced with a similar situation towards the end of last year when I received a request for progress on basic services between 2001 Census and 2011 for Tshwane (13 Main Places).

Some observations:

1. Previous sub places (2001) now main places(2011)
2. Spatial extents not comparable because of new EA' aggregation.
3. Some of the main places and sub-places data needed to be brought in from other provinces. etc.

I believe that Individual line department's may not have the resources to execute such tasks or may simply  keep away as it is not their core business.

I have been engaging with Stats SA at an operational level on this issue, hopefully taking this further this year. Given the scale of this work if it is to be done for the whole country and need for data at the lowest level I suggest  that Stats SA take responsibility with support from the GIS community. Besides if the data is to be used at an official level then Stats Sa would be more appropriate. Many municipalities and state departments insist on using officially published statistics and prefer not to use data from sector departments.

The mesozone work of CSIR/HSRC is good start but has its own set of limitations.

Regards
Pregan Pillay
Technical Analyst GIS Services
Development Bank of Southern Africa