[OSGeo Africa] Introduction to GIS & Remote Sensing short courses

Chris Berens chris at mapland.co.za
Mon Aug 11 01:07:06 PDT 2014

Hi Gretha,

I am with Paolo and Frank on this, when the freebie dries up the
chances of students engaging with the software on an ongoing basis are
low.  People move, being able to take your tools with you is key to
personal growth.
We've had this discussion some time back and are led by GITOC's 2007
findings in that "FOSS/OC contribute in meaningful ways to economic
development generally, and directly support South African economic
development priorities in particular" - PDF here;
http://www.gissa.org.za/special-interest-groups/open-source/foss-documents/policy-on-free-and-open-source-software-use-for-south-african-government/at_download/file

Regards,
Chris Berens