[OSGeo Africa] Introduction to GIS & Remote Sensing short courses

Llewellyn Gush llewellyn at jgdm.gov.za
Mon Aug 11 04:58:47 PDT 2014

This is the classic........ We will give you licenses for a very low
price if you use our software exclusively for your education and training.

While it is understandable that the players in the fields would do this,
it is what has caused all the pain regarding vendor lock in with the
software suites in use today. It is exactly because of this vendor lock
situation that the Open Source movement started, as the only way the
break the stranglehold and narrow vision of the proprietary software houses.

It is also not  great to believe that because you can use a certain
software bundle and achieve a result - (because the software does all
the complex work for you) - that you are actually competent in your
field.......

It is time that our tertiary institutions go back to basics and start to
teach first principles, and along with that encourage the students to
skill themselves in any suite that fulfils their needs, not only limited
to proprietary software. This will mean that the tertiary institutions
will have to make sure that they have access to the skill sets required
to use and train in the Open Source applications. Teaching and
contributing to the Open Source developments is crucial to the long term
sustainability of these systems.

Regards

Llewellyn

Llewellyn Gush
Information Technology Manager
Joe Gqabi District Municipality

Email llewellyn at jgdm.gov.za
Tel : "045 979 3070"
Cell: "082 573 4112"
Fax: "086 699 3633"
Website "www.joegqabi.gov.za"

This Email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
system manager at the following address "postmaster at jgdm.gov.za". Please
note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those
of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Joe Gqabi
District Municipality. The recipient shall check this email and any
attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no