[OSGeo Africa] Introduction to GIS & Remote Sensing short courses

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Aug 12 02:24:06 PDT 2014

Hi

On 12/08/2014 10:57, Gerhardus Geldenhuis wrote:
> Hi Gretha, I don't think anyone missed the fact that you want to
> move to opensource and frankly just the fact that you are willing
> and considering it is a great win. However people in general are
> lazy and the reality of life is that the first software they
> encounter for a specific task will likely be their frame of
> reference for a long time to come. Not many people will actually
> actively investigate and try out alternatives. I used envi at
> university because that was what my lecturer used and even though
> I know that there is alternatives I have not really spend the time
> looking at them.
>
> Some of the constraints you mentioned with regards to using
> opensource software would be very valuable feedback to the
> developers of the software and I am sure they would give attention
> to a well considered email detailing ways of improving the software
> to make it easier to start off with. I believe Tim Sutton lurks on
> the list and he is one of the key people at QGIS and even within
> driving distance for a meetup from your campus.

Yes indeed I am lurking here :-) I am somewhat pleased to see the
'industry relevant' argument hasn't been raised as a reason to promote
using ESRI products in the course. That same idiotic fallacy has
prevented at least one university open source GIS lab from coming into
existence in South Africa. As Gretha and others pointed out, what is
relevant to the industry is an understanding of spatial concepts,
models and analysis techniques, rather than rote learning a particular
software package.

The ESRI / Microsoft 'cheap / free' license model for students and
scholars is a cynical attempt at crack cocaine marketing - they know
when students enter the workplace they will request the brand they got
addicted to at their place of study - and then the vendors reap long
term benefits from their earlier 'subsidy'.

Anyway, I think it is great that Gretha is providing short courses and
developing skills in our industry (and letting us know about them on
this list). Gretha as a FOSS community we will be only too happy to
support any efforts you might make towards using FOSSGIS as the
platform for your courses rather than proprietary software. There are
many course materials and resources out there that can easily be
adapted to your cause.

Regards

Tim