[OSGeo Africa] TechCamps on Geotechnologies for Climate Change and Environment

Gavin Fleming gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 04:19:33 PST 2014

Hi all

If you are a school teacher, know a high school geography teacher, have
kids at high school, this is a fantastic opportunity for GIS and
cultural exchange (with a large dollop of FOSS GIS).

*Last Call for Participation to Youth in the United States, Bolivia,
Panama and South Africa*

The Global Connections and Exchange Youth TechCamps: My Community, Our
Earth Program (GCE MyCOE) is looking for current high school students in
the United States, Bolivia, Panama and South Africa. High school
students from each of these countries will be selected to form teams and
will collaborate online and in person at one of three rounds of training
events to be held in Bolivia, Panama and South Africa. The overarching
theme for this program will be Geotechnologies for Climate Change and
Environment. Students that are selected will be given academic
preparation, orientation, mentoring, training in use of geotechnologies
such as online mapping, community GIS, mobile GPS, and crowd-mapping and
will participate in cultural exchange activities. Youth work will be
featured in an online project fair and showcased at national venues.
  Travel and lodging is also provided by the program.

All applicants must be both citizens of and residing and studying in the
country from where they are applying.  For example, US applicants must
be United States citizens who both live and are currently studying in
the United States. Bolivian applicants must be Bolivian citizens who
both live and are currently studying in Bolivia, etc.

Applicants must be over the age of 15 by June 1, 2014 and no older than
18 years old by September 1, 2014. You should be attending at least one
semester of high school after the exchange program.

DEADLINE FOR US STUDENTS WAS JANUARY 10, 2014.

DEADLINE FOR SOUTH AFRICAN STUDENTS HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO MARCH 1, 2014.

The official language of this program is English.

To read more about this program, including more detailed information
about eligibility or about the countries we are working with, and more,
please see www.aag.org/techcamps <http://www.aag.org/techcamps>. You can
also find a link to the application form there.  Please direct any
questions to mycoe at aag.org <mailto:mycoe at aag.org>.

/This program is managed by the Association of American Geographers
which serves as Secretariat for the My Community, Our Earth Partnership
and receives funding and support from the US Department of State Bureau
of Educational and Cultural Affairs Youth Programs Division through the
Global Connections and Exchange Program./

--
Gavin Fleming
part of the EIS-Africa local organising team