[OSGeo Africa] Census meetup next week

Adi Eyal adi at code4sa.org
Fri Jan 17 04:06:25 PST 2014

> I'd love to come - maybe one day whenI am in CT it will overlap with one of
> your events.

cool - let me know, perhaps we can try to make the two events coincide.

What is the redistribution license of that data?

That's a difficult one. Firstly, I'm not sure that the software itself
can be redistributed, however, they only release data in that format
which is annoying. With regards to the data itself, their are two
different considerations. Officially, they claim copyright ownership
over the data itself but allow for non-commercial usage. They have
mentioned that they believe the data should be open and I cannot
imagine that they would try to legally assert their copyright. It
would obviously be a ridiculous case. Similarly, the IEC claims
copyright ownership over election results and only allow for personal
use. In both cases, I am happy to flout any copyright restrictions
because I don't think that will be tested in court, and would fail if
they were.

In summary, you'll need to make up your own mind up.

> Also been trying to grab your data from here
> http://197.21.34.5/statssa/subplace_maps.tgz but it times out.

Let me get back to you. I'll have a look.

Adi