[OSGeo Africa] Fwd: Shapefiles of African Settlements and conservation areas

Chris Berens chris at mapland.co.za
Wed Jul 16 06:03:04 PDT 2014

Aslam there's:
The World Database on Protected Areas (WDPA) available at:
www.protectedplanet.net although there are some recent SA PAs
currently not represented.
and for LULC you could try SAGE who also have a global 5' grid of
built up areas and a 1995 pop estimate.
But first prize must be to use OpenStreetMap.  You can download their
street level roads and buffer to create urban polygons.  They are a
bit thin on Protected areas but perhaps that is just waiting to
happen.
Looking forward to your Africa map :-)
Best wishes,
Chris