[OSGeo Africa] Looking for work in environmental management WAS: (no subject)

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Mar 10 08:26:16 PDT 2014

Hi Wishes

I want to give you some friendly advice! If you make a post like the one
you have just made to ask for a job, probably no one is going to hire you
:-(

Why? Because how you send such an important message is a reflection on your
character, your work ethic and your competence. Here is a quick checklist
of things you could do to dramatically improve your chances of getting
hired when you send such an email to a potential employer:

* Give your message an informative subject e.g. "GIS Graduate looking for
employment in environmental management" (you gave your message no subject
at all).
* Greet your audience (it's basic courtesy) e.g. Dear OSGEO-Africa list
members.
* Introduce yourself: Who are you and why are you the greatest thing since
Jack Dangermond when it comes to GIS? Let us know who you are!
* Include a link to an online CV (which should be meticulously prepared
just like job requests such as this one should be). If you need help
getting your CV into a good state, ask your university professor to review
it for you.
* Include some detail in your email that will make us want to hire you.
Like your fantastic vision to change the world using environmental
management and GIS! Eradicate environmental degradation by Mars Colonists!
Something to make yourself stand out amongst the pack!
* Take painstaking care with every sentence you include in your message -
again it is a reflection of your competency. Just look at the half written
sentence you gave us to entice us to hire you. Will you also leave your
work half done when we hire you? Among other things your single lonely
little sentence in your email misses:
    * A starting preposition (I, we, etc).
    * The acronym GIS is spelt incorrectly - GIS stands for Geographical
Information System so it gets all caps -its your chosen career path so if
you don't spell it right it looks dodgy!
    * A full stop....its a basic thing to construct a whole and proper
sentence.

* I (and others) will understand if you aren't a native english speaker
that your english may not be perfect, but why not spend the time to get
things right (ask someone to help you or use anyone of the web services out
there that will help you to tidy up your english)? It will only make us
stand up and take notice of you and want to hire you if you do.

I wish you the very best of luck

PS. To the rest of the list, I know I should take my own advice sometimes
and not send such badly put together messages to this list at times :-P

Regards

Tim

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Wishes Sibanda <wsib1 at student.monash.edu>wrote:

> looking for Gis job and environmental management

Tim Sutton

 * QGIS programming services
 * GeoDjango web development
 * QGIS Training