[OSGeo Africa] West coast road data request

Glenn Mullett GMullett at lidwala.com
Tue Oct 14 00:32:40 PDT 2014

Hi Tyrel

You will need to approach the relevant road authorities (RAs).  The information you require can be made available to the public, but you will need to approach each RA individually.  There is no complete amalgamated data set available currently (that I’m aware of) that has information regarding pavement type (e.g. paved/gravel/concrete/block), pavement age, traffic, condition, RCAM classification etc.

The authorities are:
SANRAL – For National roads (and be aware that this is not only “N” roads like the N2 – many former Provincial roads have been transferred to SANRAL (“R” roads such as the R35))  .  Contact the road network management department.  SANRAL also have a year-book DVD that they make available (at a fee) with all the relevant information and reports published regarding their roads.

The Western Cape  Department of Transport and Public Works – Provincial roads.  They have a nice portal for roads-related information: http://rnis.pgwc.gov.za (only works in IE)

City of Cape Town – all roads that are within the metro area (that are not Provincial/SANRAL).

Relevant District Municipalities – roads that are not under the jurisdiction of the above 3 RAs – usually roads in small towns.  The RRAMS grant funding made available by treasury has initiated a process whereby all local municipalities (usually implemented via the relevant District Municipalities) are to implement road asset management systems (RAMS).  Data to be collected and maintained in such systems includes a road network inventory (represented spatially), traffic data (usually as annual average daily traffic), visual condition data (per TMH9 and TMH12) as well as classification of the roads according to RISFSA and RCAM (TRH26) (you can Google these to find out more…).

You should be able to get pavement type, pavement age and traffic data from SANRAL, the Province and the Metro – these RAs have pretty advanced RAMS.  I doubt you’d get reliable information for lower-order roads i.e. the RRAMS roads, but you can try.

You will probably also have to approach Cape Nature and SANParks for any information they might have on roads within their reserves (as these roads are directly under their jurisdiction) – they will probably only have road centrelines (and maybe surface type).  You may need to capture road type using satellite imagery.  For road usage (traffic), you could infer this from visitor entries to the various reserves.

Traffic data is usually made available as AADTs (annual average daily traffic) – this represents the traffic load on the network.  A secondary figure: percentage heavy is usually also available.  This is the percentage of the AADT that is heavy traffic (i.e. trucks).  This tells you which routes are important haulage routes.  Sometimes vehicle occupancy data are also available (although there are formulae and factors to infer this from percentage light) – this can reveal which routes are important transportation routes.

Kind regards,
Glenn Mullett
H.O.D. SMIS [MSc GIS, Btech Nat. Cons.]
Lidwala Consulting Engineers
________________________________
[cid:image004.jpg at 01CFE791.C9234600]P.O. Box 2930, Nelspruit, 1200
Tel: 0861 LIDWALA / 0861 543 9252
Fax: 086 766 2829
Cell: 082 922 3831
Website: www.lidwala.com
Mailto: gmullett at lidwala.com<mailto:mgmullett at lidwala.com>
[cid:image003.jpg at 01CFE790.91CC5CB0]
Lidwala Consulting Engineers (SA) (Pty) Ltd email Disclaimer and confidentiality note:
 This e-mail, its attachments and any rights attaching hereto are, unless the content clearly indicates otherwise, the property of Lidwala Consulting Engineers (SA) (Pty) Ltd and its subsidiaries. It is confidential, private and intended for only the addressee.  Should you not be the addressee and receive this e-mail by mistake, kindly notify the sender, and delete this e-mail immediately. Do not disclose or use it in any way. Views and opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender unless clearly stated as  those of Lidwala Consulting Engineers (SA) (Pty) Ltd.  Lidwala Consulting Engineers (SA) (Pty) Ltd accepts no liability for any loss or damages howsoever incurred, or suffered, resulting or arising, from the use of this email or its attachments.  Lidwala Consulting Engineers (SA) (Pty) Ltd does not warrant the integrity of this e-mail nor that it is free of errors, viruses, interception or interference.