[OSGeo Africa] Urban vs Rural municipalities

Tania Smith Tania.Smith at dpw.gov.za
Mon Sep 15 23:29:17 PDT 2014

Hi Aslam

I am assuming the claims are per land parcel.  Then you could use the
land parcel identifier to determine if it is on farm land or traditional
land or classified as an erf, park, street, etc.

You will have to confirm with the SGs office but if I recall correctly
if the 5th to 8th digits of the land parcel identifier = 0000 it is
designated as farm land thus I would presume rural.

Urban areas are allocated a numeric code for townships or allotment
areas in the 5th to 8th digits depending on which province the data
originated from.  So if not = 0000 then urban land.

Hope this is helpful.
Regards,
Tania Smith
087-357-2282