[OSGeo Africa] Surveyor General Diagram - Mapping property boundary points

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Mon Sep 29 05:47:07 PDT 2014

Hi Wesley,
That survey will be on the Cape datum, and not the Harte94 datum, so you
will have to use the Cape datum to throw it back to LatLong, and then
use the Harte94 Datum to push it forward to WG19

The Lo19 and WG19 coordinates are much the same in that they both are
"Metres from Longitude 19degs" and "metres from the Equator"
Note that if you use proj type definitions, they are +ve South (ie South
facing) - looking at the coords you are showing below, yours are North
facing.
This 'North facing fix' was done because, especially in the old days,
CAD system could not handle South facing coords, so that was rectified
by simply multiplying each column of numbers by "-1".

I have a 'C' program somewhere that I wrote many years back, that
handles this - but maybe someone on this list has done this with proj &
QGIS.
Although I haven't had to do this for many years, I'd be interested in a
QGIS solution.

HTH,
Zoltan