[OSGeo Africa] How to load .ort DEM into QGIS

Melissa Akoue Mve melakouemve at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 02:09:43 PDT 2015

Hi All,

I need to do a slope analysis of the whole Western Cape area.   I had
planned to do this with the raster tool set in QGIS but after getting the
DEM's from the NGI I discovered their DEMs are in a .ort format which is
not a standard GDal format.

I was informed that the only way to load this .ort into QGIS is by
converting it to a CSV and then loading the CSV file into QGIS, and then
converting it to raster when in DEM.   I have tried this but it is
laborious and will take too long because there are more than 50 NGI DEMs
that make up the Western Cape area.

Does anyone know of a simpler way to load the .ort file.   I have searched
for ways to convert the .ort to a geotiff but I havent been successful yet,

Kind Regards,
Melissa Akoue Mve,