[OSGeo Africa] QGIS web application

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Dec 9 02:16:50 PST 2015

Hi

> On 09 Dec 2015, at 15:57, Christ, Sven <16823745 at sun.ac.za> <16823745 at sun.ac.za> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have been developing a plugin for QGIS for my masters thesis

Nice

> and would like to create an added webapplication to it where people do not have to install QGIS and instead just go onto the page upload their datasets have them be processed and a shapefile displayed on the interface but also have the option of the resultant shapefile being downloaded. What would be the best strategy to go about doing this?

You probably want to look at a web framework like flask or django (python) or ruby on rails (ruby) to build that kind of functionality (uploading shape files etc). If you want to have some fun you can write your plugin in a way that separates the UI from the app logic and then use the same logic on the server side so that your flask or django app calls your QGIS logic with the shape file once it is uploaded.

Regards

Tim