[OSGeo Africa] Developer and GIS posts at Kartoza

Gavin Fleming gavin at kartoza.com
Mon Feb 9 01:36:06 PST 2015

Kartoza has a DEVELOPER post and a GIS post going. Details below. DO NOT
reply to the list.

*1) Opening for Python developer at Kartoza*. Paarl, possibility of
telecommuting. Contract, possibly permanent.

A Western Cape company in the spatial IT industry is seeking developers.
We have a range of projects and challenges and will tailor the post to
suit the ideal candidate.

Kartoza does desktop, server and web development, testing and support
for a local and international clientèle and we're also working on our
own ideas. Most of our projects have a spatial component. We use FOSS
tools and produce mostly FOSS outputs. We have a very 'open' philosophy.

You will be organised, driven, productive, enjoy working in a
changeable, informal environment and enjoy learning. Terms like agile,
scrum, sprints, git, kanban will appeal to you.

As this is a small company, you will be required to take on multiple
projects and manage your time. We have an international team with a
fairly flat structure where your opinion counts. Your initiative and
input into internal projects will be rewarded.

You should find your time at Kartoza enjoyable, rewarding and
fulfilling, with a positive work-life balance. The equipment we provide
won't slow you down and we have progressive terms of service.

Minimum skills:

- Python

- SQL

- Linux

Extra skills:

- Django / GeoDjango

- GIS (especially with the FOSS GIS stack)

- QGIS Python API and plugin development

- Spatial databases, especially PostgreSQL / PostGIS

- CSS3 / HTML5

- JavaScript

- Server skills, including working with containers

- mobile application development

- UX design

- OGC standards

- C++

- Qt

To apply, please send the following to info at kartoza.com before 20
February 2015

  *

    your CV including your complete study and work history, 2
    references, SA residence status

  *

    examples of your OWN coding work, e.g. github, websites, apps, QGIS
    plugins, working code, etc.

  *

    your salary expectation

  *

    when you are available to start

*2) Opening for GIS generalist / spatial IT engineer at Kartoza*

A Western Cape company in the spatial IT industry is seeking GIS staff.
We have a range of projects and challenges and will tailor the post to
suit the ideal candidate.

Kartoza does a variety of work with a strong spatial component for a
local and international clientèle and we're also working on our own
ideas. We do desktop GIS, web map servers, enterprise deployments,
cartography, spatial data management, training and support. We use FOSS
tools and produce mostly FOSS outputs. We have a very 'open' philosophy.

You will be organised, driven, productive, enjoy working in a
changeable, informal environment and enjoy learning. Working in teams
with software developers will appeal to you. If you consider yourself to
be a power-user you must be comfortable with scripts and the command
line. If you're not a power user yet you must want to become one.

As this is a small company, you will be required to take on multiple
projects and manage your time effectively. You will be anchored in an
office in Paarl with the possibility of telecommuting. We have a fairly
flat structure where your opinion counts. Your initiative and input into
internal projects will be rewarded.

You should find your time at Kartoza enjoyable, rewarding and
fulfilling, with a positive work-life balance. The equipment we provide
won't slow you down and we have progressive terms of service.

Minimum skills:

  *

    a flair and passion for geography and spatial thinking

  *

    Training or experience in

        geography

        computer science

        electronic engineering

        GIS

        IT

Extra skills:

  *

    QGIS

  *

    Python

  *

    Linux, Bash, server skills

  *

    SQL

  *

    Any other tools in the FOSS GIS stack (GDAL/OGR, Geoserver, etc.)

  *

    Spatial databases, especially PostgreSQL / PostGIS

  *

    JavaScript

  *

    cartography, design

  *

    teaching, training

  *

    OGC standards

To apply, please send the following to info at kartoza.com before 20
February 2015

  *

    your CV including your complete study and work history, 2
    references, SA residence status

  *

    examples of your OWN work, e.g. github, websites, systems, maps,
    models, working code, etc.

  *

    your salary expectation

  *