[OSGeo Africa] QGIS Hackfest in November

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Sep 14 08:35:39 PDT 2015

Hi All

I’m not sure how many of you are familiar with the workings of the QGIS project, but every 6 months we hold a ‘hackfest’ where QGIS enthusiasts and developers get together - usually somewhere in Europe - to improve QGIS. That can be anything from coding new features, fixing bugs, writing documentation, testing, sharing ideas to just trying to use it and reporting issues you find.

The next hackfest coming up is in Gran Canaria (Canary Isles) - see my blog post here: http://blog.qgis.org/2015/08/30/gran-canaria-hackfest/ <http://blog.qgis.org/2015/08/30/gran-canaria-hackfest/>. Due to financial constraints and time commitments I will not be able to make it this year and I was thinking it might be nice to hold a satellite hackfest here in SA. I can host it in our offices in Technopark, Stellenbosch - and if those further afield want to get together we could hold a number of smaller parallel get togethers.

For those of you who have never been to a hackfest before, and in particular a QGIS one, the meeting format is very simple. There is no agenda or programme, people just convene and hold an ‘unconference’ / un-meeting. This could include impromptu presentations, sub meetings of special interest groups and so on. Generally I would say the meetings are fun, informal and a great opportunity to learn and exchange ideas with other like minded QGIS users and developers.

Because we would hold the meet-up in parallel with the QGIS hackfest, the dates for the get-together would be:

5th – November 8 2015

There is no admission fee, though it would be great if folks could bring snacks along or donate some money towards pizza etc. Could I get some indication of who might be interested in attending and on which days? If there is no interest, I will just participate virtually from my laptop on the beach or wherever :-)

Please use the link below to register if you plan to join in on the fun!

http://goo.gl/forms/Eia6yHUVRM <http://goo.gl/forms/Eia6yHUVRM>

Regards

Tim

—