[OSGeo Africa] Recent main place or sub-place spatial data for SA

Calle Hedberg chedberg at telkomsa.net
Mon Aug 1 00:43:43 PDT 2016

Hi,

Disease surveillance, and in particular the Malaria program, has for many years used a set of "localities" (villages, suburbs, etc) to determine the origin or residence of e.g. malaria cases.

That level of detail/granularity is similar to the so called "sub-place" layer released by StatsSA in 2003 - containing around 21,500 local areas (although a number of them are sparsely populated areas with no name).

We  are now revamping and consolidating the system for disease surveillance, which require a spatial data set with similar granularity but preferably newer than 2001/2003. I already have the ward layers for 2011 and 2016 - using wards is too coarse for our purposes, and most patients would not easily use wards as a reference to where they live.

1.
StatsSA said 2-3 years ago that they had updated the so called "main place" layer, but I cannot find any download links on their website. Anybody knows where to get that layer?

2.
There was no mention in that news item of the "sub-place" layer - anybody knows if a new (well, probably based on Census 2011) sub-place layer is available anywhere?

3.
Another option would be to build a clustered Enumeration Area layer - is the Census 2011 EA layer available from anywhere?

4.
Final question: the list of postal codes from SAPO is at the same level of granularity as the sub-place layer. I know SAPO never developed or at least released spatial data for their postal areas - have anybody else attempted to do that work for them?

Best regards
Calle Hedberg
Cape Town