[OSGeo Africa] Albers Equal Area projection datum WGS84

Heidi Van Deventer HvDeventer at csir.co.za
Mon Aug 1 05:32:47 PDT 2016

Thank you Gavin and Aslam for the advise.

Heidi

>>> Aslam Parker <Aslam.Parker at drdlr.gov.za> 31/07/2016 22:36 >>>
Hi

A bit of advice when using Albers Equal Area Conic Projection (with two
standard parallels/SP’s). It is ideal for small scale political maps
of the country (where area of provinces are in proportion) and any
instance where accurate area is required. NGI uses this projection for
the 1:2200 000 National Map of South Africa and its provincial maps.

We use the 1/6 rule (for Albers Equal Area Conic) to determine the
standard parallels and minimise the distortion.
The standard parallels are chosen 1/6 south of the northern extreme  of
the project (lat_1) and 1/6 north from the southern extreme (lat_2).
For South Africa, using 22 deg and 35 deg as rough approximations (for
simplicity) of the northern and southern extremes of continental SA
(don’t forget about Marion and Prince Edward Islands)
35deg-22deg = 13deg
1/6 of 13 deg = 2.1666666deg
So lat_1 = 22deg + 2.16666666 =24.166666
      lat_2 = 35deg – 2.1666666 = 32.8333333

The lon_0 is chosen as the centre of the project

The above example demonstrates the rationale behind the choice of
SP’s. Users are advised to change the SP’s using the above rule
if project is other than continental South Africa, eg provincial , maps
or maps of other countries.