[OSGeo Africa] Projection used for small areas and police boundaries

Gavin Fleming gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 07:40:32 PST 2016

Hi Adi

On 19/02/2016 16:42, Adi Eyal wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have the SAL area boundaries from StatsSA. Unfortunately, it seems
> that these boundaries have already been projected onto a plane - are
> unprojected shapes available?
Are you sure their CRS is just not correctly defined? StatsSA and other
national data sets are normally unprojected (i.e. geographic or
long-lat). Whatever CRS the geometry is actually in (despite how it's
defined in its metadata) can easily be projected to anything else in
QGIS. If you send a small sample I'll send you the steps to take.

Gavin

> Thanks
> Adi
>
> --
> Adi Eyal
> Director
> Code for South Africa
> Promoting informed decision-making
>
> phone: +27 78 014 2469 <tel:%2B27%2078%20014%202469>
> skype: adieyalcas
> linkedin: http://za.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Adi/Eyal
> web: http://www.code4sa.org
> twitter: @soapsudtycoon
>
> Follow us on twitter at @code4sa
> For more information on how to participate in the open data community
> in South Africa, go to: http://www.code4sa.org/#community
> Sign up for Naked Data, our weekly round-up of what's happening
> locally and internationally in data journalism and data visualisation.
> Register here: http://www.code4sa.org/newsletter

Gavin Fleming
c: 0845965680
h: 0871505366