[OSGeo Africa] Usage of Open Source Software in South Africa

Vince Egan vince.egan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 12:40:40 PST 2016

Hi Matlala,

I'm also a civil servant in Limpopo. I have been using Open Source
software in the workplace for the last 8 years or so. Our desktop GIS
environment has switched largely to QGIS and we are about to embark on a
PostgreSQL/PostGIS implementation to feed data into an online website
and make the data available to QGIS users in our department. There is a
lot of resistance to open source adoption - mainly due to fear of the
unknown. GIS has been easier because folks are often adopting totally
new concepts in the first place. Migrating people from software that
they already now (e.g. MS Office) to the unknown (e.g. LibreOffice) is
quite an uphill battle...

All the best.

Regards,
Vince