[OSGeo Africa] CIR and False Colour

Aslam Parker Aslam.Parker at drdlr.gov.za
Tue Nov 1 06:50:50 PDT 2016

Hi All

False color (or false colour) refers to a group of color rendering methods used to display images in color which were recorded in the visible or non-visible parts of the electromagnetic spectrum.

A false-color image is an image that depicts an object in colors that differ from those a photograph (a "true-color" image) would show. The simplest false-color encoding is to take an RGB image in the visible spectrum, but map it differently, e.g. "GBR→RGB". For "traditional false-color" satellite images of Earth a "NRG→RGB" mapping is used, with "N" being the near-infrared spectral band (and the blue spectral band being unused) – this yields the typical "vegetation in red" false-colour images.

It is not correct to say that false colour = colour infrared, because CIR is one of the many encoding (combinations) of false colour .

CIR is created when the bands are displayed in the following order:G,B,NIR