[OSGeo Africa] Fit maximum number of regular polygons inside an irregular polygon

Hanlie Pretorius hanlie.pretorius at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 23:26:07 PDT 2017

Hi,

I have a question from a client and it is similar to the one posed at this link:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/27303/packing-polygons-within-polygon

The code there doesn't look familiar to me - Mathlab perhaps?

Does anyone know how to convert this to python or know of a similar
tool that I could use? I have two inputs: the irregular polygon and
the regular polygon that must be fit as many times as possible inside.
Ideally the code should automatically adjust the size of the polygon
to fit (given certain constrains, such as a minimum size in each
direction). The polygon to fit will always be rectangular with its
axes N-S and E-W because the application is to place solar panels on a
solar farm. I thought the more mathematically minded people on the
list might like a challenge like this.

Thanks
Hanlie

Ps. I have Googled it and couldn't find anything.