[OSGeo Africa] Postgres replication

Gavin Fleming gavin at kartoza.com
Mon Feb 6 00:12:24 PST 2017

Hi Chuck One

Why not run the same update on each database instance once a month? Or,
after you've updated your master, script a selective dump-ship-restore
into the 'slave'.

Gavin

On 06/02/2017 08:27, Chuck One wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have two servers with postgres installed which I would like to keep
> sync'd. I had a look at streaming replication (cluster replication)
> within postgres but it doesn't fit my requirements. The database will
> be updated once a month with about 20GB-40GB of spatial data. The
> update process includes a few additional steps to "clean" the data
> which I do not want to replicate on the other server.
>
>  My requirements:
> 1. Sync a single database, better yet, only a few tables within a
> database;
> 2. Servers have different hardware specs, with different parameter
> settings and user logins;
>
> Postgres 9.4 and up apparently have logical replication options. There
> is also pglogical from 2nd quadrant. However, I am unsure how to set
> up logical replication. Does anyone have experience with logical
> replication and willing to shed some light on the matter?
>
> I am using postgres 9.5.3, postgis 2.2.1, ubuntu server 16.04.
>
> Thanks

Gavin Fleming - Joint MD - PrGISc [PGP1234]
Visit http://kartoza.com <http://kartoza.com/>to find out about open source:
* Desktop GIS programming services
* Geospatial web development
* GIS Training