[OSGeo Africa] Maps of sub-saharan African cartography

Chris Berens chris at mapland.co.za
Tue Jul 4 01:34:17 PDT 2017

Hi Aslam, the closest I have come to an indigenous map is a verbal route
map or song-line that I heard in 2009 which described a route taken by
herders from Pella in the northern Cape as they went from waterhole to
waterhole.  I was able to follow the route during the recitation using your
1:250,000 map which had enough named points in common.  Unfortunately we
did not have a chance to record the audio/video.  The herding route
(described/sung by Oom Paul Waterboer in Pella) predated the shift in
ownership in that area.

On 4 July 2017 at 08:07, Aslam Parker <Aslam.Parker at drdlr.gov.za> wrote:

> Hi All
>

> Does anyone know of literature or resources that describes the depiction
> of space and/or maps  by African indigenous communities, specifically in
> Southern Africa.
>

> Thanks
>

> Aslam Parker
>
> aslam.parker at drdlr.gov.za