[OSGeo Africa] Geocoding list of Townships

Chris Berens chris at mapland.co.za
Tue Feb 13 03:29:23 PST 2018

On 13 February 2018 at 13:13, Charles Gayi <cgayi at classicmail.co.za> wrote:

> I have a list of townships in South Africa. I was wondering if one can
> help me to geocode these townships  in order to be used in GIS..

 Hi Charles,

Maybe post one of your data records with its field headers.  If you just
have a list of places then there will probably be duplicates; e.g. Enkanini.

You could try geo-coding to the StatsSA sub place layer or maybe get hold
of the DWAF Communities data set.  The SA Gazetteer may help.  Whichever
way you go you will need some additional form of descriptor such as a ward
or main place to distinguish between duplicate place names.

Best wishes,
Chris

--
Chris Berens, Pr.GISc