[OSGeo Africa] Ideas on writing a petition to access municipal spatial data

Zoltan zoltans at geograph.co.za
Wed Feb 14 23:46:35 PST 2018

Hi List,
This is exactly the sort of thing that  GISSA should be championing -
perhaps send an email to the national chair person, Morena Letsosa at
morenal at ekurhuleni.gov.za and copy the national secretary, Manie, at
gissa at gissa.org.za

I am not saying stop your own efforts, I am suggesting that you also
engage the bodies that should be looking at generic issues like this.

If I can add another thought:

    Be mindful of the payment model you are (going to be) fighting for.
    Is it right that all tax-payers should also foot the cost of data
    extraction and provision?
    Give a thought to what all tax payers should pay for, and what extra
    efforts individual users will burden the system with.

So whatever your petition becomes, just make sure you have suggested
solutions as well.

Do I have "an appetite for this"?  Yes, I most certainly do. - But
regretfully I don't have the time to champion it.

My 2c.
Zoltan

On 2018-02-15 09:20, Sindile Bidla wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> Most municipalities in the country are making it difficult to access
> spatial data that has been paid for through our taxes:
> 1. selling of spatial data
> 2. signing data agreements that prevent reuse
> 3. providing access to spatial data only if conducting a municipal project
>
> I am proposing that we start a petition in this regard, because
> government policy is quite clear with regard to access to spatial data.
>
> What I would like ideas on is:
> 1. is there appetite from the community in this regard?
> 2. should we have a single petition which will be sent to individual
> municipalities and key government department?
> 3. is there an online platform that we could use?
> 4. any other idea.
>
> Thank you.
>

> Sindile XJ Bidla
>
> *Geoilocate*
> p:
> 	087 373 0982 m: 082 340 8538
> a:
> 	Block B3, Science & Technology Park, East London IDZ
>
> 	Lower Chester Rd, Sunnyridge, East London
> w:
> 	www.geoilocate.co.za <http://www.bizwebhost.co.za>

Zoltan Szecsei GPrGISc 0031
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za