[OSGeo Africa] Ideas on writing a petition to access municipal spatial data

Sindile Bidla sindile.bidla at geoilocate.co.za
Thu Feb 15 04:00:34 PST 2018

Dear List,

Thank you for all the suggestions and inputs.

My take on the issue is as follows:

1. There is general agreement on the need for government spatial data to be openly available with no restrictions

2. Engage other parties who can assist in this process - GISSA, Code4SA, media

3. Gather information to build a case

http://geospatial.blogs.com/geospatial/value-of-spatial-data/

http://opendatahandbook.org/

http://www.worldbank.org/content/dam/Worldbank/document/Open-Data-for-Economic-Growth.pdf

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/tgis.12283/full

4. Petition platform - Avaaz.org

Taking into account the various inputs, as a way forward I would like to propose the following:

Have a small team (5 individuals? - I volunteer myself) to kick start the process:

1. Write a business case (there should be material that we can reuse with attribution)to support our petition - to be shared with the list for input

2. Create the petition on an appropriate platform

Regards,

Sindile XJ Bidla

Geoilocate

p:
 087 373 0982  m: 082 340 8538

a:
 Block B3, Science & Technology Park, East London IDZ

 Lower Chester Rd, Sunnyridge, East London

w:
 www.geoilocate.co.za

---- On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 12:54:55 +0200 Peter Newmarch <newmarch at land-surveyors.com> wrote ----

Gavin,

If there is royalty on the data, the institution is obligated to pass such on and recover – even if public data. Similarly with any copyright restriction under which the data was obtained.

Exceptions to the user pay is of course the deeds office – where the legislation specifically says the user must pay (policies etc… cannot override an act of parliament).

Its certainly worthy having a wide discussion on this.

Regards

Peter