[OSGeo Africa] Historic Topographic Map Series of Namibia now online

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Tue Jan 8 11:01:27 PST 2019

Hi  Tim,

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, 11:53 Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> Wow that is really cool! I was able to easily add the Nambia toposheet
> tiles to QGIS 3.x using this XYZ Connection URL:
>

> https://namibia-topo.openstreetmap.org.za/layer/na_sgswa_topo_50k/{z}/{x}/{y}.png

Great. I am more than happy for others to use this service in QGIS.
Brilliant that QGIS now natively support TMS/XYZ tiles.

> @Grant any chance you can make the non map areas transparent instead of
> black?

Good idea, I will update shortly.

Despite the file extension being .png I currently generate JPEG tiles. I
use mapserver under the hood to dynamically generate the tiles with nginx
acting as a front-end and cache layer. I see that mapserver 7.2+ has the
option of automatically falling back to PNG when there is an alpha channel,
I will give this a go.

Mapserver is via fastcgi. Maybe I should do mini write-up on how it runs
with a working docker example. More than happy to share config.

Kind regards,

Grant