[OSGeo Africa] Help prevent DRDLR and other government entities from deviously renewing their ESRI ELAs

Sindile Bidla sindile.bidla at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 01:23:44 PDT 2019

Maybe as a starting point, Section 217 of the Constitution provides for the
following, I quote "*When an organ of state in the national, provincial or
local sphere of government, or any other institution identified in national
legislation, contracts for goods or services, it must do so in accordance
with a system which is fair, equitable, transparent, competitive and
cost-effective*."
Consequently I think we could do the following:
1. Write to the National Treasury (Chief Procurement Office) and CFO of the
Department bringing this to their attention and seeking clarity whether
this is inline with Section 217
I also agree that the way the TORs are crafted are done in a way that
ensures a particular service provider gets the work for example:
"Unlimited GIS software license distribution for a period of three (3)
years including all extensions and add-on software." No other product uses
this type of wording
"Service provider must show proof of registration/certification as an
authorized enterprise implementation partner of their respective Original
Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)."
"In case the bidder does not meet condition 7.1.1., then the bidder must
subcontract to an EME or QSE which is at least 51% owned by black people as
per the following estimated total bid values and percentages (Provide proof
of subcontracting
arrangement which may include a subcontracting agreement between main
tenderer and subcontractor)." Circumventing the pre-qualification criteria
as per the new preferential procurement regulations.

Regards,
Sindile Bidla