[OSGeo Africa] Magesterial Districts of old south Africa

Antony Cooper ACooper at csir.co.za
Thu Mar 3 03:00:40 PST 2022

Dear Aslam

In the early 2000s, someone released a free CD-ROM called SA Explorer, consisting of various national data sets, including magisterial district boundaries (and traditional authority boundaries, Pfunzo).  I think that it might have been released by Stats SA (as a by-product of their preparations for a census) or the MDB/IEC as a by-product of their preparations for elections.

I don’t think that there is any metadata for the data, so I do not know how good the data are.

The CD-ROM should be in your library, Aslam.  The whole data set is 419 MB, the magisterial districts just under 14 MB and the traditional authorities just over 7 MB.

I think that the whole of SA Explorer should be uploaded online, caveat emptor.  Aslam, could you ask NGI or NSIF/CSI or someone else appropriate to do this?

In the interim, should I put the magisterial districts and traditional boundaries on Dropbox, or something like that?

Regards
Antony