[OSGeo Africa] What software is currently used in South Africa tertiary institutions

Franko Sokolic sokolic at worldonline.co.za
Mon Mar 11 08:54:11 PDT 2024

Hi Sindile,

I teach the GIS component of the MSc in Integrated Water Resource Management at the University of the Free State and we only use QGIS for the practical sessions. However, I always emphasize that we are teaching GIS, not QGIS, and that the theory and techniques we teach are applicable to all GIS packages. UFS also has licences for ArcGIS and this software is used by the Geography department amongst others.

Frank.