[OSGeo-Alberta] notes on meeting #2

Stefan Steiniger sstein at geo.uzh.ch
Wed Jun 9 14:35:14 EDT 2010

Hei all,

last Friday, about 8 people made it to the second meeting.
wayside
i) First I talked for about an hour on state of FOS desktop GIS. I
re-presented actually a talk from 2009 at the OGRS conference. A copy of
those slides is available here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jump-pilot/files/w_other_freegis_documents/presentations/sstein_FOS_Desktop_GIS_Projects_and_Software_an_analysis_ogrs2009.pdf/download

ii) Then we discussed how we continue with the groups objectives. We
looked for instance on the Mission Statements of the OSGeo Chapters of
BC, Quebec and Ontario (see the http://wiki.osgeo.org). We agreed here
that we keep working on a mission statement - but will probably wait 2-3
more meetings until we figured what each of us does and is interested
in. However we already identified three main points of interest:
* Alberta geodata
* free GIS tools in Oil & Gas & Energy
* GIS software n general

iii) We also agreed that it may be useful to setup a member list. I
created a new wiki page for that:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Alberta_Members

If you want to be on the list, then you either need to create an
account/login to be able to edit the wiki, or you send me an email and I
add you to that list.

iv) We then discussed how we continue with the meetings:
- we found that it may be best to have a fix date. We decided that we
should have meetings *every 1st Tuesday of each month*.
- hence, the next meeting should be on July 6th, 2010
- for the next meeting will probably have (i.e. to be confirmed):
-- a demo of AutoDesks MapGuide Open Source by Trevor Wekel (OTX
Systems) - a web map server software
-- a presentation on the HEAT project by Chris Kyle (UofC and CDK) - a
web mapping system to check out the heat loss of your home

Finally, an invitation to all list members - PLEASE POST something on
this list, i.e. use this list. Post for instance questions (on software,
on data, on whatever) or news that might be interesting to 2-3 more
people. Because we should use and establish this email list as a
resource pool for our work.

cheers from the UofC
stefan