[OSGeo-Alberta] Introduction

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Wed Jun 16 10:49:58 EDT 2010

Since Stefan asked, I'll introduce myself.

   I'm Brent Fraser and I work for GeoAnalytic Inc., a Calgary geomatics company
specializing in processing remotely sensed imagery (but we do other things
involving geomatics and software).

   Lately we've been integrating imagery and GIS data on the web using Mapserver
(http://mapserver.org/) and GeoMOOSE (http://www.geomoose.org/).

Some of the other Open Source Geo projects we've contributed to are:

GDAL (http://www.gdal.org/)
	- good for reading/writing

OSSIM (http://www.ossim.org)
	- ortho rectification of satelite imagery

VTP (http://www.vterrain.org/)
	- a desktop 3d environment

   One of the things I'd like to work on is a FOSS tool set (and data model?)
for creating a DLS (aka Township grid) dataset suitable for GIS use.  This would
involve ingesting the data from the 3 or 4 provincial governments (if their
licensing allows it), "normalizing" it, and creating various output formats.
And of course handling updates when the provinces issue new datasets.

   I'm also interested in freeing some of the City of Calgary and Provincial
data.  Here are a few links to get your creative thoughts flowing:

   http://emaps.calgary.ca/asp/emaps.asp
   http://dmzwww2.gov.calgary.ab.ca/FairshareMapPortal/script/Citywide.asp
   http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?cityID=3 (not City data, but kinda cool)

   http://www.altalis.com/prod_base_small.html

Please feel free to ask me questions about Western Canadian GIS data, imagery,
or Open Source Geo software...

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser