[OSGeo-Alberta] Proposed Agenda for December Meetup + proposed pre-meeting materials

scott.mchale at shaw.ca scott.mchale at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 27 17:05:53 PST 2019

Folks,

I want to honour the OSGeo openness by using the mailing list for formal
communications.  Our first meetup participants come mostly from Meetup.com
website and may not be aware of OS Geo.  I've created this slide deck to
deliver to our 25ish RSVP's on Meetup to engage them with some info prior to
the meeting.  I'm going to include it on Meetup.com when I update the
presentation info ( Abraham has suggested I'll have that tomorrow ) but I
wanted to get the proposed agenda out, today.

All thoughts appreciated.

Scott.

AGENDA - DECEMBER 2019

*	Chapter Discussion & Decisions ( All are Welcome to Contribute )

*	Get acquainted: ( 15 min )

*	What do we know about OSGeo, the projects, and the use within our
markets/industries?
*	What parts of OSGeo do we need to know more about?

*	Discussion - Proposed Chapter Goals: ( 20 min or as long as is
needed  - it's important to have the community drive )

*	Support the vision, mission, values of OSGeo ( must have )
*	Create connections in geospatial community leading to knowledge
sharing, successful research, and shared enterprise;
*	Provide opportunities for enthusiasts to highlight capabilities and
share knowledge;
*	Create engagement and support for groups and events geared toward
geospatial for Alberta;
*	THESE ARE ALL SUGGESTIONS. PLEASE PROPOSE the chapter goals YOU feel
are most important.

*	Discussion - Proposed Mandate:

*	Pursue our stated goals for Alberta and surrounding areas where it
is needed.

*	Current Plan:

*	Simple, simple - monthly meetup such as this one.  We are always
looking for speakers and sponsors.  In months without sponsorship, we can
pitch in for food and drink if necessary.
*	Important to find ways to extend the physical participation to other
parts of Alberta.

*	Looking Forward:

*	How do you want to be involved?
*	What specific things should we focus on?

We do not need to come out of this meeting with anything more formal than we
have going in.  The small cadre of us working on this currently will
continue to pursue the monthly meetups ( always looking for help in finding
sponsors and speakers, and sometimes venues ).

We will use the mailing list for these discussions so you're always welcome
to contribute suggestions and help make plans.