[OSGeo-Alberta] OSGeo AB Monthly Meetups - Online + notes from previous meeting

scott.mchale at shaw.ca scott.mchale at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 16 12:57:32 PDT 2020

Folks,

Thanks to those who came out to Assembly Coworking Space, March 4, for the
monthly meetup.  The notes and actions are below.

Monthly Meetups will be ONLINE-ONLY until further notice.  Assembly
Coworking space is suspending all non-essential use for the time being.

We've had success with the Jitsi meet software and should be able to migrate
online without too much difficulty.  We'll continue to post all the
information on Meetup.com.

Notes from March meeting:

Discussion on Radon Monitoring project: (Cassidy)

What to build:

*	Focus on something simple with focus on the radon use case

*	Be open to other applications as you build
*	Look for existing projects or technologies that are relevant
*	ACTION: Cassidy will reach out to SensorUp to understand potential
fit

Engaging the community:

*	Create some concise project documentation to enable engagement by
others with as little intervention required as possible

*	ACTION: Gavin will create a starting point doc ( 5 Block Process )

Discussion on Meetup content:

*	Exchanging knowledge is the best part of every meetup.

*	Cassidy has agreed to be a resource for image manipulation and
analysis and Stefan also said he'd be able to contribute
*	Cassidy loaded a poll on Slack #osgeo-alberta channel. "What would
you like to learn more about the most in an OSGeo AB meeting"

*	So far "PostGIS" is in the lead and "FOSS4G" is second though we
have few votes on there

SLACK: Everyone is welcome to join us on the #osgeo-alberta channel of The
Spatial Community Slack workspace. Information about joining The Spatial
Community can be found here:  <https://thespatialcommunity.org/>
https://thespatialcommunity.org/

*	We will continue to ensure any "formal" decisions are communicated
via this mailing list but Slack seems to be a more natural space for folks
to take part

VOLUNTEER YOUR KNOWLEDGE

If you have good knowledge on any relevant technologies, please feel free to
let the community know.  We can gather up questions on Slack ( or by
whatever means ) and spend some time at any of the meetings to have experts
answer to them or show a skill.

Please feel free to respond via the mailing list, pick up the conversation
on slack, or reach out directly to me at scott.mchale at shaw.ca
<mailto:scott.mchale at shaw.ca> .

Thanks,

Scott.