Formal Call For Nominations

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 13 13:09:08 EST 2006

Folks,

In Chicago it was resolved to add a second tranche of members as quickly
as practical after the meeting, bringing our membership up to 45.  This
email is the formal call for nominations.

Nominations should be emailed to Chicago at osgeo.org and should include
a paragraph describing the qualifications of each nominated candidate.

All nominations should be in by 9:00am (Pacific time - GMT+8) on Thursday
February 16th.  After that they will be collected and the existing
membership will vote to select 24 new members from the nominations.

Please verify with any nominee that they are willing to stand for membership
before nominating them.

Nominations already sent to chicago at osgeo.org will also be incorporated.

Note that you do not need to be an existing member to nominate someone,
and self-nomination is fine.

Previously suggested (but unofficial) membership selection criteria
include:

o The person should have made a contribution to open
    source geospatial software already.

o The person should be willing to put in time and effort
   on the foundation, perhaps joining committee(s), or
   volunteering in some other way that gets the foundation
   going.

o Members should believe in the general goals of the
   foundation.  To support and promote the use of
   open source geospatial software in a collaborative
   manner (my words).

o Members selected should provide a diversity of
   geographic representation in the foundation.

o Members selected should provide representation
   of a diversity of projects.   For instance, we have a
   strong desire to see the "java tribe" well represented
   in the foundation.  We don't want the membership
   dominated by folks from just one project.

o Members selected should provide representation of
   a diversity of interests (eg. corporate, hobbyist,
   educational, scientific).

o Members should be prepared to works constructively
   and positively towards the goals of the foundation.
   Good teamwork skills are an asset.

Best regards,